Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Progress

Along the same lines as the previous post, I am still thinking about the meaning of the western society's concept of progress and the reference points the define it. Progress itself is a reference point defined by previous reference points that form a matrix of points and lines. This matrix has somehow become the web of life in society today. We are constantly comparing and being compared to other things, other persons, other perspectives and losing our own sense of unity and control in the process. The concept of progress is forced upon us as children, relatives pointing out key points in our developement , deciding if we are good or bad children by the way they see good and bad. They force their perspectives upon us and try to mold us into what they consider best for the position in society they wish for us to take. This concept is a cage, a fundemental wall to which they put us in and against. As adults the feeling of satisfaction and self worth is goverened by this restriction. "I am suceeding in life because I have a good job, I am making alot money and I am living legally" This is one of several variations to the same statement I hear constantly. The ideas are purely in reference to the society's concept of what a good job, alot of money, and legally is. Does this take in consideration the personal goals of that person, that they might have had should they live without being forced to take the perspective of the western ideal? no, it simple is the way they are raised not their own choosing. Even if one is to abandon the ideal of the western philosophy after years of living within it, there is a feeling of doubt and general unworth or dissatisfaction. It's a deep rooted concept that will probably lead to the demise of the society at some point when the point is hit that we can no longer progress further, we have expended our resources and mental reserves. This is perhaps too sever of a view but it is the one I myself think of at this moment in time. The restrictions in the system leave me frustrated with the fact that publically I have no control of what I am defined as, its not my thoughts or feelings that define me to others but their view of me. I guess this is just how it is.... ah well my rant is over for the day, back to drinking my tea.

No comments: